Saturday, January 25, 2014

$10 Treasure Hunt

One thing you should know about me, I constantly buy books. I do mean constantly - as in multiple times a week. I check the book section in every store I go into. I'm one of those people who constantly change hobbies, but I do have one that has stuck with me since I was in middle school and that is buying books for my future children. Yes, I have been buying books for my nonexistent children for thirteen years now. Their collection is, without a doubt, over 300 books now. Ridiculous, I know. Maybe one day I'll give you a peek into my obsession, but until then you'll be able to pick up on it easily from my weekly book treasure hunts.

More often than not, when I walk into a store with a large book selection, I always give myself a budget. This morning I woke up and visited my small town's library sale. Because I could easily get lost in the thousands of books piled endlessly and spend half my salary on dirt cheap buys, I only took in one $10 bill in my back pocket. Can't go over your budget when you don't give yourself the option!


After an hour of browsing through dusty shelves and conversing with the sweetest old ladies in town (because I'm the only person under 50 years old who frequents this sale every month), that $10 turned into this...



So pleased!

1. The Jane Austen Book Club - one I've been wanting to read for a while!
2. The Pinballs - My favorite chapter book as a kid. I literally jumped up and down when I found this!
3. Daphne Deane - For the wedding...more about that later...
4. Dewey: The Small-town Library Cat Who Changed the World - Highly recommended by my colleagues.
5. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - A middle school must read for my students.
6. Sharp Objects - I love Gillian Flynn mysteries.
7. What is a Pronoun? - My favorite picture book series for teaching parts of speech.
8. What is a Preposition? - and again...
9. You Wouldn't Want to Work on the Railroad - My favorite buy of the day. Jake is going to love the irony of this with our kids and it's such a cute story that gives the history of railroad workers. It'll easily answer the question "What does Daddy do at work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment