Monday, April 14, 2014

DIY Pallet Easter Bunny


This craft made me so happy.
I've been looking for some new, colorful spring decor to add to our (soon to be) new home. This fit the bill, and even Jake was excited to help me make it.

This is such an easy and inexpensive craft - plus it took very little time. The painting was the most stressful part and even that wasn't that difficult.
 
*MATERIALS*
  • Pallet boards
  • Saw
  • Sander
  • Wax paper
  • Yellow paint
  • Blue paint
  • Ribbon
  • Paintbrushes

Step one-
Find a pallet. Do not buy these, people. Go behind local stores and just look. They're everywhere, in great shape, for free. Our local stores will beg you to take these off their hands!

Once you have your pallet, you need to take the boards off. We don't have one of those wonderful skinny saws that does this so easily, so instead Jake had to break out the hammer and crow bar and put some muscle into it. It made for a good show! :)

Step two -
We used five pallet boards for this project. After laying them side by side to figure out how we wanted to place them, we measured them off and cut them to our desired length (about 2/3 length of the board). To bind them all together, we flipped our boards upside down and used some spare wood we had lying around, a drill, and some 1/2" screws. We used the wood to connect the boards, then screwed it into each individual pallet. 



Step three - 
Sand those boards down! No worries, you'll still have the rustic look - but you don't want to be picking splinters out of your hand every time you go to move it either. Jake just did a quick 2-3 minute sanding job on the top and around the edges.

Step four - 
While Jake handled the wood side of the project, I started on my artsy side. I used wax paper to free hand sketch the bunny I wanted, then cut it out. Once Jake was finished, I taped it onto the wood and began painting. We used blue, yellow, and pink ribbon - but of course you could do it in any colors you'd like, we just wanted something bright! We also have cotton balls to add for a bunny tail, but I haven't decided yet if I want to add them or just leave my rustic bunny be. 

...and we were way too focused on the painting to think of taking pictures of this last step, my apologies!
 
Easy Sunday craft = FINISHED and CHEERFUL!


No comments:

Post a Comment